Yesterday’s post was about changing the way you eat with baby steps. Today is, you guessed it, big girl or boy steps!
• Detoxify. I found a very painless detox program. You can eat, drink a little red wine and have a tiny bit of dark chocolate. It sounds too good to be true, right? I’ve been doing Natalia Rose’s Detox 4 Women and it is mostly a pleasure. She’s a little heavy-handed with the Stevia, but other than that, I like the foundation. http://www.detoxtheworld.com/books-detox-4-women.php
• Drink organic green or greenish juice for your breakfast. Juice as in juice you make in a juicer, not the Odwalla or Naked junk that is owned by Coca-cola and uses GMOs, pesticides and is pasteurized so the nutrients are gone by the time you get it. I know, I’m full of good news: http://www.naturalnews.com/038750_boycott_Naked_Juice_Odwalla.html
If you are ready to be a big girl, then you have to make and drink your juice. Your body does not have to work to get all of the nutrients and enzymes as it would if you ate your veggies. You will find this is the best thing you can do for yourself. You’ll also see that it’s pleasant, you’ll feel great and you will look forward to it. You can use any green vegetables and make it a little more palatable with lemon, ginger, carrot, beet, or a little Granny Smith apple. It does have to be organic if you are juicing or you will be drinking pesticides.
I’ve posted this before, but it bears repeating. If you want to buy a juicer, here is an excellent chart explaining the differences. I own an Omega 8003. I bought it on eBay and I LOVE it. http://www.discountjuicers.com/compare2.html I have seen a Hamilton Beach juicer advertised for $39. I don’t know how well it works, but it would surely be better than nothing. Check eBay for juicer deals.
I make up most of my own juice recipes. It’s easy and it’s better if you make something that you will want to drink (although sometimes my son and I make up gross juices for fun – he’s twelve). If you feel clueless, I like some of Drew Canole’s recipes. He will suck you in with all kinds of emails but you can opt out as usual. http://fitlife.tv/tag/drew-canole/
One of my basic juice recipes to get you started (USE ALL ORGANIC INGREDIENTS):
4-5 stalks of celery
1/2- 1 cucumber peeled
Half of a beet
A giant handful or two of greens such as baby kale mix, spinach, romaine, arugula or 2-3 stalks of kale
A giant handful of parsley and/or cilantro
A half of a small Granny Smith apple
• Buy eggs that come from chickens that actually scratch and peck and see the light of day. I know the carton of eggs you buy says, “Cage free.” Don’t think those chickadees are out roaming the farm and cavorting with each other. Sometimes there are 85,000 “organic” hens housed in the same building that get let out of their cage to stand on the overcrowded concrete for a while. Check out the scorecard below. You might be surprised at how the company from whom you purchase eggs scored. I am lucky enough to live near one of the highest scoring farms (5 egg rating – beyond organic). The company is World’s Best Eggs in Elgin, TX. I can buy them at Whole Foods or at my farmer’s market. http://www.cornucopia.org/organic-egg-scorecard/
• Order your meat, poultry and fish from a company such as this that “gets it.” http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Page.bok?template=about.html
• Avoid canned food that uses BPA in the lining (which is every canned food pretty much). BPA has been linked to cancer, obesity and diabetes. I use Eden brand canned beans. Their crushed tomatoes come in amber glass jars.
• Combine your food properly. Do you remember the old Fit for Life book by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond? I still have mine and it has some great recipes. If not, no worries, Detox 4 Women talks about proper food combining. The basic concept is that you eat either a protein or a starch with vegetables. You do not eat a protein and a starch together. This allows for your food to pass through your body quickly, easily and without putrefying and clogging up your system. In Detox 4 Women, Natalia Rose calls them, “quick exit foods.” You get the point.
• Make sure you are pooping enough and that it’s the right shape. I really don’t want to get into this, but it’s important. Look at Dr. Mercola’s website: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/02/14/normal-stool.aspx
• Make sure you find exercise that you LIKE and want to do and then do it regularly.
• Get involved. Our food system is completely broken. We have to make our voices heard with our dollars and with our actual voices. Right now the most pressing issue is to tell President Obama we don’t want GMO salmon. The deadline for the comment period for GMO salmon is ending this Friday, April 26th, 2013. Please make a comment and pass this on!
Click here if you don’t want to eat GMO salmon! Tell President Obama, Congress and the FDA to put a halt on any approval of AquaBounty’s GMO salmon.
If approved, AquaBounty’s GMO salmon would be the first genetically engineered animal to be sold for human consumption and could appear in restaurants and grocery stores as early as 2013.Already biotech cheerleaders are hailing the FDA’s recent announcement as a first of many new approvals to come, which means that more genetically engineered, transgenic animals could be approved in the near future.
• Sign up for these newsletters to stay up to date on the latest crimes against our food supply:
• Deviate from all of these things and enjoy yourself sometimes, but the majority of the time, take good care of yourself and those you love.