I adapted this from the minimalist baker’s recipe.http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-pumpkin-apple-muffins/ My recipe is oil free and I do not cook the apples because I’m lazy and it tastes great without the extra effort (I tried it both ways and I promise it’s still wonderful). These muffins are super moist and very healthy except for the sugar, but hey, you’ve got to have a little pleasure.
1 cup flour (I used white whole wheat)
½ cup oat flour
1/3 cup old fashioned oats + extra for topping
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon + more for apples
16 oz. organic pumpkin puree
1 cup oat milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk, make sure it does not contain carrageenan)
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup applesauce
1 flax egg or Ener G egg replacer (what I used)
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ of a large apple or 1 small apple peeled and cored (I like Granny Smith, but you can use any type)
- Preheat oven to 375 and line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Prepare flax egg or Ener G egg replacer in a large bowl and set aside.
- Chop apples into tiny pieces and sprinkle generously with cinnamon (this is the extra).
- Add pumpkin puree, oat milk, brown sugar, apple sauce and vanilla extract to the egg replacer. Place flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a sifter and sift over wet ingredients and stir.
- Add apples and oats and stir again until just combined. Spoon into muffin tins and sprinkle oats on top.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.