Manifesting Grace Through Gratitude with Oprah Winfrey and Deepak Chopra starts today. If you’ve ever wondered about meditation, this is a fantastic introduction. Deepak guides you with a suggestion and slowly eases you into a zone. You will come out of it feeling refreshed and focused. Register and participate for free https://chopracentermeditation.com/
PLEASE VISIT MY NEW WEBSITE https://www.wellelephant.com/
Your skin is your largest organ and anything you place on your skin is absorbed into your body. That is why it is so important to make sure your skincare, personal care and beauty products are as non-toxic as possible. It is common to find horrific ingredients in make-up and nail polish like formaldehyde and hormone disruptors such as propyl paraben.
The EWG Skin Deep website is a great tool. Its purpose is to rate the toxicity of all major skin, hair and beauty products. Be forewarned, you will become addicted to searching all of your favorite products on this site. It is a huge time waster, in the greatest way.
How it works, from their website, “Skin Deep presents two ratings for products and ingredients, a hazard rating and a data availability rating. •The hazard score, a 0-10 scale from low to high hazard, reflects known and suspected hazards. A product’s hazard rating can be higher than the sum of its parts, if, for example, the product contains chemicals called “penetration enhancers” that increase the amounts of ingredients that soak through the skin. •The data availability rating – none, limited, fair, good or robust — reflects how much scientists know – or don’t know – about an ingredient’s safety.”
People always ask me for ways they can be healthier. I think I scare them a little when I start rattling things off. There really are simple ways to avoid the things that lead to disease. Here is a quick list from easiest to more challenging.
- Buy organic produce, meat and packaged foods – this is the easiest and surest way to avoid the onslaught of toxins, pesticides and genetically modified organisms (GMOs) that are in our food system.
- Give up “diet” everything… soda, Splenda, aspartame, low-fat, fat-free, etc. I promise you, if it has to have a claim on the package, you DON’T want to put it in your body. If eating “diet” foods worked so well, we’d be an emaciated nation, not the sickest and fattest. You are being lied to. It keeps you coming back for more diet products and it makes you gain weight.
- Get rid of your old Tupperware and plastic containers – switch them out for glass or at the very least, BPA free plastic. Also stop buying canned goods. They contain BPA in the lining (with the exception of Eden brand foods and a few others). You’ll notice more items are coming in cardboard (aseptic) packaging. The evidence is mounting that plastics and BPA are linked to hormone and thyroid disruption. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25121464
- Stop using your microwave – I know, I know, but really, you will get used to heating things up on your stove top and in your oven. I swear, in the last year, I have not used my microwave for more than heating up my coffee for 15 seconds on the very rare occasion. My mom had a dear friend who died from cancer when she was about 55 years old. I don’t remember that sweet woman ever cooking anything other than a microwave dinner. There is scientific evidence that microwaves change the DNA in meat! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24122804
- Avoid GMOs. I’ve written about this extensively so I will just link to the main article. https://thenontoxiclife.wordpress.com/2013/04/06/whats-the-problem-with-gmos/
- Cook at home – you will be healthier and live longer! http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cooking-to-live-longer/ Again, I know it can be scary, especially if you really don’t know how to cook. You can easily learn to make a few simple things from scratch.
- Make a green juice or smoothie for breakfast – Here is my recipe for a Berry Kale Smoothie. It keeps you full and satisfied. Get your nutrients for the day in your first “meal.” https://thenontoxiclife.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/berry-kale-smoothie/
- Limit processed foods – If it comes in a bag or a box, make sure it’s organic and has less than five ingredients. Remember, for the most part, this is not food, it’s a food like substance. It is special, like your weird uncle Harold, and should be avoided if possible.
- Cut back on dairy, sugar, white and whole wheat flours – dairy is inflaming (and delicious, I know, but it’s not healthy). Try to cut waaaaay back on sugar. If you have to sweeten your coffee, tea, or bake with something use 100% Organic Pure Cane Sugar; not sugar in the raw, not turbinado sugar, make sure it is 100% organic. Organic agave nectar is good too, coconut sugar is good, honey is good, but not the junk that comes in a bear shaped plastic container. It has to be pure, raw or local honey. I have found many recipes can be sweetened with organic dates.
- Eat more vegetarian and vegan meals – there are so many delicious vegan and vegetarian recipes on WordPress and online in general. Devote several meals a week to vegetarian meals. Here is one of my favorite vegan sites for recipes http://minimalistbaker.com/ Vegans have the lowest incidence of disease overall as well as the healthiest BMI. http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/vegans/
These two dishes are staples at my house. They are essentially the same recipe but the mac and cheese calls for a bit more of the first four ingredients. I use a quinoa pasta in the mac and cheese recipe but you can use any pasta. Nutritional yeast can be found in the bulk section of Whole Foods and many grocery stores.
Broccoli and Cheese:
1 cup nutritional yeast
2 tsp. any kind of flour you like
1 cup water
1/3 cup organic ketchup
2 TBS. of salsa
½ tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garlic powder
Remember in years past when everyone was in such an uproar about veal? When the public found out that calves were confined in tiny crates where they could not move in order to make their meat tender, they quickly denounced veal. There was some response by industry that led us to believe that this was no longer the practice.
Fast forward a couple of decades and now almost every animal bred for consumption is treated in much the same fashion as that poor old calf that we worried about.
And before you pat yourself on the back for buying “free-range” chicken and “Cage-free” eggs, just know you are being duped by the genius marketers and lobbyists for the food industry who want you to feel good about your poultry purchases. Here is the sad truth.
Cage-free means that the egg-laying, caged up birds have access to light and air. It does not specify an amount of time or quality. It can mean the doors to the factory were open while the hens remained in their cages. It is not a regulated term.
These poor egg-laying hens are crammed into such tight cages that they can’t move and become so aggressive with each other that their beaks have to be chopped off. Debeaking is the industry standard. It is the same as having a body part amputated without anesthetic. Debeaking is also done to broiler chickens. The laying and broiler birds can be so riddled with pain from this common procedure that they can’t eat for weeks and die. Continue reading “Factory Farming or Everything is Now a “Veal””